Monkey Pics

Photos of UDF sessions, adventure rides, camping trips and more

Monkey Pics

Unread postby cheesy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:03 pm

Some pics of of my various passengers. They've ranged in age from my 3 year old(now 4) grandson to my 83 year old Mother in Law.

Mrs. Cheesy's first ride.

Oldest Grandson. Always conniving a way to have Grandpa take him to the playground on the Ural.

Oldest Granddaughter. This was her first ride. She was hooked.

Future Monkeys. Youngest Grandkids.

Proud of this one. Roger is a Vietnam Vet that can no longer walk in our Memorial Day parade, so I took him took him.

My Favorite. The two oldest Grandkids. Granddaughter put her arm around her cousin to keep him from falling out of the sidecar when he fell asleep. Then she zonked.

There is 4.5 years between those two kids. My Granddaughter is a tiny little thing and my Grandson is a bruiser.
cheesy

07 Gear Up
79 CX500
Solexes and bicycles

"Telling something is for my own good is a fast way to a fat lip"-Me
cheesy
CURD Rookie
CURD Rookie

Re: Monkey Pics

Unread postby Sailing rider » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:43 pm

Great pictures. It always amazes me how fast people can fall asleep in a sidecar.
Kerry

2010 Gear Up (Winter)
2008 Ultra Classic (Summer)
1980 FXS-80
Sailing rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Unread postby Sidecar Bob » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:46 am

Nice pics of passengers but I don't expect many of them moved around enough to properly be called "monkeys". The term comes from sidecar racing where there are grab handles all over for the passenger to hold onto while they climb back & forth (often looking like a monkey in a tree) while shifting their weight from one side to the other to help keep the rear and sidecar on the ground while the rig is cornering at high speed. The monkey often leans so far over the edge that their helmet is almost skimming the ground. (To see what I mean look at a few videos of sidecar racing on YouTube.)

The correct affectionate term for a sidecar passenger that just sits there is "ballast". My kids grew up being sidecar ballast but when they got old enough they also became an integral part of the back up system (Hondas don't have reverse gear) :roll:

At all ages (even now that they are adults) they knew their most important job in the sidecar was to wave at children as we drive past them :mrgreen:

BTW: Speaking of passengers falling asleep, one of my fondest memories is from when we lived in Scarberia and buddy was taking the motorcycle license course at Humber College. He worked ses so he had to take the course over 2 weeks of evenings; His fiancee drove him there & back most nights but I got conscripted for the evening she was unavailable. We were coming home afterward and I realized he was asleep when I felt his helmet bump my elbow as e went around the ramp from the 401 to the DVP. Of course, being the DVP we weren't on it long before we caught up with the perpetual traffic jam. As I applied the brakes myself I glanced down at him and I'll never forget the look of panic on his face as he woke to see a field of brake lights in front of him :shock:
ImageCurd #157 - Official CURD Cheapskate & Vice-Commissar, Kawartha Lakes Region
Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr) Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650/Veloural)
Click here to visit my blog Click here to order CURD patches & stickers
Sidecar Bob

Location: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario - between Lindsay and Lake Simcoe

Unread postby cheesy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:53 pm

This guy doesn't say much.

Not much for ballast, either.
cheesy

07 Gear Up
79 CX500
Solexes and bicycles

"Telling something is for my own good is a fast way to a fat lip"-Me
cheesy
CURD Rookie
CURD Rookie

Unread postby Sidecar Bob » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:57 pm

:thumbsup:
ImageCurd #157 - Official CURD Cheapskate & Vice-Commissar, Kawartha Lakes Region
Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr) Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650/Veloural)
Click here to visit my blog Click here to order CURD patches & stickers
Sidecar Bob

Location: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario - between Lindsay and Lake Simcoe

Return to Fotografiya