First Ural Maintenance

Tech page for all years & models of Irbit's most famous export

First Ural Maintenance

Unread postby GreenPatrol » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:08 pm

I started my first maintenance tasks on the Patrol this week. So far only the oil change, checked final drive fluid and checked the steering head bearings. Still need to check the air filter, wheel bearings and checking fasteners. Getting the old oil filter out and the new one in was a little challenge with the exhaust cross member in the way. A little careful reshaping of the metal cage of the filter got the job done.

Question on the final drive fluid - when I initially checked the level on the dipstick, it was barely touching. I added a fair bit (guessing 60mL) to bring it up to the top mark, but now it's weeping at the filler hole when I ride. The PO had mentioned that this can happen, but is there any solution other than to not bring the level up to the top mark?
2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
GreenPatrol
CURD Rookie
CURD Rookie
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:25 am

Re: First Ural Maintenance

Unread postby ichbinbier » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:55 pm

GreenPatrol wrote:I started my first maintenance tasks on the Patrol this week. So far only the oil change, checked final drive fluid and checked the steering head bearings. Still need to check the air filter, wheel bearings and checking fasteners. Getting the old oil filter out and the new one in was a little challenge with the exhaust cross member in the way. A little careful reshaping of the metal cage of the filter got the job done.

Question on the final drive fluid - when I initially checked the level on the dipstick, it was barely touching. I added a fair bit (guessing 60mL) to bring it up to the top mark, but now it's weeping at the filler hole when I ride. The PO had mentioned that this can happen, but is there any solution other than to not bring the level up to the top mark?


I would drain it and refill only because when I change the motor oil I change the oil in the final drive and transmission at the same time.
It is always better to have new oil in all of the main drive parts, motor, transmission and final drive.

Oil is always cheaper than one hour of labour at the bike shop.
2016 CCM GP450
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Ural Gear Up
1994 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Springer Softtail
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH Hugger 883
ichbinbier
CURD Regular
CURD Regular
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:09 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: First Ural Maintenance

Unread postby Gummiente » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:52 am

Check the fluid level with the dipstick screwed all the way in, not resting on the threads. This will prevent seepage caused by overfilling.
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
CURD Head Cheese

05 Tourist "Doukhbor" (sold)
79 Dnepr MT10 "Irina" (sold)
86 H-D Sportster 1100/Velorex (sold)
07 H-D Road Glide/Texas Ranger (sold)
15 H-D Road Glide "Redbird"
Gummiente
HeadCheese
HeadCheese
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Seeley's Bay, ON

Re: First Ural Maintenance

Unread postby GreenPatrol » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:23 pm

ichbinbier wrote:I would drain it and refill only because when I change the motor oil I change the oil in the final drive and transmission at the same time.
It is always better to have new oil in all of the main drive parts, motor, transmission and final drive.

Oil is always cheaper than one hour of labour at the bike shop.


True enough! Since it's raining this weekend it'll give me something to do. Thanks for the suggestion.
2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
GreenPatrol
CURD Rookie
CURD Rookie
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:25 am

Re: First Ural Maintenance

Unread postby GreenPatrol » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:25 pm

Gummiente wrote:Check the fluid level with the dipstick screwed all the way in, not resting on the threads. This will prevent seepage caused by overfilling.


I'll do that next time. The video I watched seemed to imply checking the same as with the engine oil dipstick - not threading it in, but clearly that isn't working for the FD. Thanks.
2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
GreenPatrol
CURD Rookie
CURD Rookie
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:25 am

Re: First Ural Maintenance

Unread postby Gummiente » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:30 pm

It's a common mistake, I did the same thing until I was told the correct way by Ken at oVc (this was years before I ended up working there). The manual(s) are notorious for vaguely worded and out of date info. Ask any owner who adjusted the new style sealed wheel bearings according to the manual, which wasn't updated till 2013.
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
CURD Head Cheese

05 Tourist "Doukhbor" (sold)
79 Dnepr MT10 "Irina" (sold)
86 H-D Sportster 1100/Velorex (sold)
07 H-D Road Glide/Texas Ranger (sold)
15 H-D Road Glide "Redbird"
Gummiente
HeadCheese
HeadCheese
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Seeley's Bay, ON

Re: First Ural Maintenance

Unread postby GreenPatrol » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:35 pm

Gummiente wrote:It's a common mistake, I did the same thing until I was told the correct way by Ken at oVc (this was years before I ended up working there). The manual(s) are notorious for vaguely worded and out of date info. Ask any owner who adjusted the new style sealed wheel bearings according to the manual, which wasn't updated till 2013.


Now you have me worried. I have a 2012 manual. Any hints where I can find the new procedure?
2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
GreenPatrol
CURD Rookie
CURD Rookie
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:25 am

Re: First Ural Maintenance

Unread postby Gummiente » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:27 pm

The new procedure is to not touch them. The bearing cap should be snug against the bearing and the locking ring tight. If the bearing cap is backed off 1/8-1/4 turn as per the method for the older tapered roller bearings, the new sealed bearings can "walk" in the bore.
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
CURD Head Cheese

05 Tourist "Doukhbor" (sold)
79 Dnepr MT10 "Irina" (sold)
86 H-D Sportster 1100/Velorex (sold)
07 H-D Road Glide/Texas Ranger (sold)
15 H-D Road Glide "Redbird"
Gummiente
HeadCheese
HeadCheese
 
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Seeley's Bay, ON

Re: First Ural Maintenance

Unread postby GreenPatrol » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:26 am

Well, I've taken the advice here to heart. Still need to do the transmission oil, but last night I changed the final drive fluid, torqued the heads, and set the valve clearance. I'm glad I did; the valve clearance was very wide (0.014" on the 1st one I checked). I set them all to 0.004" and I believe I can hear the difference when I rode to work this morning. Next up, transmission fluid and brake adjustment.

By the way, when I bought the bike the PO gave me a brake adjustment tool that he made based I believe on Gobium's design. I haven't been able to find a video on how to use it yet. Is there one?
2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
GreenPatrol
CURD Rookie
CURD Rookie
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:25 am


Return to Ural

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron