Fuel Tank Question.

Tech page for all years & models of Irbit's most famous export

Fuel Tank Question.

Unread postby Milton Rider » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:48 am

Hello everyone!

I have a quick question about the main and reserve tanks on my bike (2011 Patrol). I have an issue about the petacock and switching from main to reserve. So when I run out of gas on the main tank and switch it over to the reserve it take about 10 minutes till I can ride it again, it will idle fine but as soon as I give it any throttle it dies. I am at a loss as to why and will accept any suggestions.
Milton Rider
CURD Rookie
CURD Rookie

Re: Fuel Tank Question.

Unread postby Sailing rider » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:35 pm

It all comes from the same tank. The petcock has 2 intake line of different length. The longer is normal and the shorter is reserve to let you get the fuel at the bottom of the tank. They both have filters on them and perhaps the reserve screen has some gunk on it.

Drain your tank by pulling the carb fuel line of and putting it into a Gerry can and then putting the petcock to prime. Then its 2 allen head bolts to remove the petcock and check the screens.
Kerry

2010 Gear Up (Winter)
2008 Ultra Classic (Summer)
1980 FXS-80
Sailing rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Unread postby Sailing rider » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:02 pm

Here is a picture of one that has similar intakes

Kerry

2010 Gear Up (Winter)
1980 FXS-80
Sailing rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Unread postby Sidecar Bob » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:27 am

I'm confused. I thought Urals had non-vacuum type petcocks but to the best of my knowledge only vacuum petcocks have a Prime position... And the purpose of the Prime position on a vacuum type petcock is to allow you to fill the carbs without the engine running so if it has a Prime position why wouldn't you just switch it to Prime for a few seconds before you switch to Reserve?
ImageCurd #157 - Official CURD Cheapskate & Vice-Commissar, Kawartha Lakes Region
Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr) Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650/Veloural)
Click here to visit my blog Click here to order CURD patches & stickers
Sidecar Bob

Location: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario - between Lindsay and Lake Simcoe

Unread postby Sailing rider » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:12 pm

My 2010 has a vacuum type. Not sure when they started like that. I think turning it to prime is the same intake as reserve, just doesn't need the vacuum. If it was a vacuum problem it shouldn't work in the run position. I have cleaned a lot of gunk from mine.
Kerry

2010 Gear Up (Winter)
1980 FXS-80
Sailing rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Unread postby Sidecar Bob » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:57 pm

Yeah. The Suzukis I had years ago had vacuum petcocks with the Prime position. The manual said it was for priming (filling) the carbs if they were empty.

Vacuum petcocks are not supposed to let any fuel flow when the engine is running. They accomplish this by having a vacuum operated valve in addition to the main (lever controlled) valve. The petcock's vacuum line is connected to one of the carbs so that when the engine is running the vacuum valve opens and when it isn't the valve closes. They assume that there will be enough fuel in the float bowls to start the engine so that the vacuum valve will open and allow more fuel to enter the carbs. If you let the carbs become empty, usually by not switching to Reserve before the engine stalls out (you get to know after a while) or by intentionally draining them (usually for storage or if you are working on them) getting fuel to the carbs is quick & easy if the petcock has the Prime position. It is a little more difficult if the petcock doesn't have Prime (like many Hondas).
ImageCurd #157 - Official CURD Cheapskate & Vice-Commissar, Kawartha Lakes Region
Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr) Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650/Veloural)
Click here to visit my blog Click here to order CURD patches & stickers
Sidecar Bob

Location: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario - between Lindsay and Lake Simcoe

Return to Ural