Too much oil?

Tech page for all years & models of Irbit's most famous export

OOPS! Too much oil??

Unread postby Reccebiker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:38 pm

Hey everyone,
I changed my oil filter and oil today, my 2017 Ural has 3300 klicks and the oil was black as tar and looked like it was time. It's gotta be around 0 Celsius outside and the new oil was like molasses in January as I poured it into that hole. Pouring the oil into a funnel and through the oil dipstick hole took quite a while. When all was said and done, it looks like I may have put about 3 liters instead of the 2 that the manual calls for. About 2" higher than the upper bend on the oil dipstick. Should I drain out the excess oil? Will it hurt the engine at all if I leave it alone? You guys are the pros here, I'm the rookie!! On the bright side, No leaks from the oil drain plug or from the new oil filter.
Proud owner of a 2016 Patrol!
(My Residential Sergeant-Major owns the sidecar). :bow:
Reccebiker
CURD Friend
CURD Friend

Too much oil?

Unread postby Reccebiker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:42 am

Hey everyone,
I changed my oil filter and oil today, my 2017 Ural has 3300 klicks and the oil was black as tar and looked like it was time. It's gotta be around 0 Celsius outside and the new oil was like molasses in January as I poured it into that hole. Pouring the oil into a funnel and through the oil dipstick hole took quite a while. When all was said and done, it looks like I may have put about 3 liters instead of the 2 that the manual calls for. About 2" higher than the upper bend on the oil dipstick. Should I drain out the excess oil? Will it hurt the engine at all if I leave it alone? You guys are the pros here, I'm the rookie!! On the bright side, No leaks from the oil drain plug or from the new oil filter. :diggin:
Reccebiker
CURD Friend
CURD Friend

Re: OOPS! Too much oil??

Unread postby Coluralado » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:42 am

Drain it out until you get to the proper level. Too much oil is not a good thing for these engines.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Mr. Coluralado
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox!
Previous Urals Owned
2004 Wolf
2006 Tourist
2006 Patrol TOW
2006 Patrol TOM
Coluralado
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Reccebiker » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Thank you sir, I kinda thought I'd need to do that, I wanted to confirm. :cheers:
Reccebiker
CURD Friend
CURD Friend

Re: Too much oil?

Unread postby ichbinbier » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Reccebiker wrote:Hey everyone,
I changed my oil filter and oil today, my 2017 Ural has 3300 klicks and the oil was black as tar and looked like it was time. It's gotta be around 0 Celsius outside and the new oil was like molasses in January as I poured it into that hole. Pouring the oil into a funnel and through the oil dipstick hole took quite a while. When all was said and done, it looks like I may have put about 3 liters instead of the 2 that the manual calls for. About 2" higher than the upper bend on the oil dipstick. Should I drain out the excess oil? Will it hurt the engine at all if I leave it alone? You guys are the pros here, I'm the rookie!! On the bright side, No leaks from the oil drain plug or from the new oil filter. :diggin:

Looks like a double post so I'm going to reply to this one. Hopefully you used 5W40 or similar oil if you plan to use it in the cold weather.
I find the lighter oil makes it easier to start in the cold weather.
2016 CCM GP450
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Ural Gear Up
1994 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Springer Softtail
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH Hugger 883
ichbinbier
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Mikey » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:41 am

Yah, absolutely drain. You don't want hydrolic lock to occur. Best case you blow out gaskets. Worst case is engine damage.
*likely posted on a tablet, so please excuse odd words (autocorrect)

2017 Forest Fog - Green Gear -Up
Mikey
CURD Friend
CURD Friend

Unread postby Sidecar Sally » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:51 am

I'm not sure on the newer models, but the oil change rotation on mine is at 2500 kms.
And probably sooner if you ride in town a lot.
Definitely drain your oil to only have 2 litres in it...... :wink:
Sidecar Sally

03 FXD Springer (sold and gone to a new home)
2013 Electra Glide Ultra limited
08 Gear Up Arctico
sportster bullet mufflers/modified
2 x .024" shimmed needles
7/64" drilled out slides
130main/45 pilot
Sidecar Sally
Site Donor
Site Donor

Unread postby Reccebiker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:32 pm

I drained off the excess oil yesterday and it wasn't as bad as I made it out to be. I had put in maybe a half a liter too much. Yesterday was my maintenance and fiddling around day, replaced those rear break pads and made a break linkage shield for the rear break foot pedal. I had been placing my right boot on that linkage causing premature wear of my break pads.
Reccebiker
CURD Friend
CURD Friend

Unread postby Sidecar Bob » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:46 pm

Tip: If the oil is too thick to pour take it inside and put it near the hot air vent or radiator or whatever you have while you take a break and then take it back outside where the bike is one litre at a time so it doesn't get a chance to thicken.

BTW: What grade of oil are you using? If it is too thick it could make starting harder than normal and result in reduced lubrication during warmup....
ImageCurd #157 - Official CURD Cheapskate & Vice-Commissar, Kawartha Lakes Region
Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr) Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650/Veloural)
Click here to visit my blog Click here to order CURD patches & stickers
Sidecar Bob

Location: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario - between Lindsay and Lake Simcoe

Unread postby Sidecar Bob » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:49 pm

Please don't post the same thing in 2 different parts of the forum. It makes things confusing and breaks up discussion in the replies.
ImageCurd #157 - Official CURD Cheapskate & Vice-Commissar, Kawartha Lakes Region
Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr) Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650/Veloural)
Click here to visit my blog Click here to order CURD patches & stickers
Sidecar Bob

Location: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario - between Lindsay and Lake Simcoe

Unread postby Gummiente » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:04 pm

Sidecar Bob wrote:Please don't post the same thing in 2 different parts of the forum. It makes things confusing and breaks up discussion in the replies.

That was partly my bad, I had initially moved the other topic thread from the Western Division sub-forum to Rapazh instead of merging it with this one that had been posted here in Ural. I have now merged the two topics to avoid further confusion.
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
CURD Head Cheese

05 Tourist "Doukhbor" (sold)
79 Dnepr MT10 "Irina" (sold)
86 H-D Sportster 1100/Velorex (sold)
07 H-D Road Glide/Texas Ranger "Blackbird Stealth Bomber" (sold)
15 H-D Road Glide "Redbird"
02 H-D Heritage Softail "Zero"
Gummiente
HeadCheese
HeadCheese

Return to Ural