M10 36 Restoration

Tech page for all years & models of the mighty steed from Kiev

M10 36 Restoration

Unread postby Northernduck » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi everyone. Im new to the forum. Im rebuilding a 1980 M10 36. The usual challenges but getting there. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced secondary shaft leakage from the seal around the propeller drive. The surface of mine was coŕroded, the bike was abandoned in a shed for decades. I machined off 0.5mm on a lathe and intend to get a matching seal. Are they prone to snapping and does dropping the diameter from 36.5mm to 36mm weaken it?
Northernduck
CURD Rookie
CURD Rookie

Re: M10 36 Restoration

Unread postby Gummiente » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:08 pm

I'm not clear from your description as to which seal you are referring to, but most Dnepr seals and bearings are of a wonky size that do not correspond to modern SAE equivalents. You may be able to source some that are close to the required dimensions and then bore out or sleeve the locations they fit into, but a far easier method is to just replace them with the stock versions. Shops like oVc maintain a large stock of them. In fact, if you're a Dnepr owner it would be in your very best interests to get to know the proprieter, Ken Beach, who is a long time Dnepr enthusiast. The whole CURD concept began back when I bought my 79 MT10 fromn another individual and went on a global search for parts and advice. I first met Ken back in 2004 and ended up working for him from 2012-2015, you would not believe the staggering amount of parts he has in stock for them!

By the way, it is completely normal for seals to leak on a bike that has been in storage for decades. The Russian made seals and gaskets dry out and become brittle in this situation, so leaks are very common when the machine is brought back to life. Don't ask me how I know this.
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
CURD Head Cheese

05 Tourist "Doukhbor" (sold)
79 Dnepr MT10 "Irina" (sold)
86 H-D Sportster 1100/Velorex (sold)
07 H-D Road Glide/Texas Ranger (sold)
15 H-D Road Glide "Redbird"
02 H-D Heritage Softail
Gummiente
HeadCheese
HeadCheese

Re: M10 36 Restoration

Unread postby Northernduck » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:32 pm

I forgot to thank you for the reply. I put on a new seal and it has not leaked since. In fact I overhauled the gearbox and installed Western seals throughout. The only leak now is from the oil return piping as I did not have seals when reinstalling cylinders. Perhaps Ken has these.
Northernduck
CURD Rookie
CURD Rookie

Return to Dnepr