How do you carry your spare cables?

The Garage - general maintenance, mods and improvments applicable to all Soviet bikes and sidecars

How do you carry your spare cables?

Unread postby GoPapi » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi,
I'm in the process of gathering some spare parts to carry in the Ural in the "unlikely" case of a breakdown. I don't like the idea of leaving loose cables in the sidecar trunk. I wouldn't want them to eventually get kinked between some luggage or something. So I was browsing in our local Home Depot the other day and came across some storage boxes with removable dividers. As you can see from the included picture, I got the clutch, throttle and speedo cables in the largest section. I was wondering if I can damage the cables by having them curved in this manner? The narrowest dimension is 5 1/4 inches.

How do you guys carry your spare cables? All comments or suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

GoPapi :grin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GoPapi
2013 Ural Tourist
GoPapi
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Re: How do you carry your spare cables?

Unread postby ichbinbier » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:39 pm

GoPapi wrote:Hi,
I'm in the process of gathering some spare parts to carry in the Ural in the "unlikely" case of a breakdown. I don't like the idea of leaving loose cables in the sidecar trunk. I wouldn't want them to eventually get kinked between some luggage or something. So I was browsing in our local Home Depot the other day and came across some storage boxes with removable dividers. As you can see from the included picture, I got the clutch, throttle and speedo cables in the largest section. I was wondering if I can damage the cables by having them curved in this manner? The narrowest dimension is 5 1/4 inches.

How do you guys carry your spare cables? All comments or suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

GoPapi :grin:

I keep my spare cables in the manual holder/folder behind the sidecar seat
2016 CCM GP450
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Ural Gear Up
1994 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Springer Softtail
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH Hugger 883
ichbinbier
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby GoPapi » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:38 pm

ichbinbier wrote:I keep my spare cables in the manual holder/folder behind the sidecar seat

That was one of the options that I considered but for some reason I sort of forgot about it. Must be old age setting in! :whome:

Thanks for the reply. :thanks:

GoPapi
GoPapi
2013 Ural Tourist
GoPapi
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Sidecar Bob » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:17 pm

That would work, especially if you are carrying other spares as well. You might consider adding some blocks of foam rubber or wadded up rags to keep everything from bouncing around in the box.

I don't carry any spares to speak of but I do carry enough tools to deal with minor roadside fixes. For the 'Wing I have the original tool roll with a few other odds added in (like the non-metric allen keys that came with the windshield and the throttle lock), which rides in one of the saddlebags as it has since I got the bike. Eccles' kit evolved from what I have carried in my winter sidecars since I started in '87 (it even has some Dnepr tools)(padded with rags, which are always handy). I have tried a number of different containers and they all get so banged up bouncing around in the back of the sidecar next to the jack that none has lasted more than a few years. I have been using cheap tackle boxes from Dollarama for quite a while now; They hold up as well as anything else plastic (& don't inflict as much damage to the inside of the sidecar as metal ones) and when I notice that it has cracked I transfer the tools to a new one and toss the old one in the recycling. I also carry jumper cables, a set of motorcycle type ones in a tackle box in the 'Wing's saddlebag and a set of car ones (they work better with the lawn tractor battery) in a bag behind Eccles' sidecar seat (I think their presence on top of the jack & tackle box helps keel the latter from bouncing as much).
ImageCurd #157 - Official CURD Cheapskate & Vice-Commissar, Kawartha Lakes Region
Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr) Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650/Veloural)
Click here to visit my blog Click here to order CURD patches & stickers
Sidecar Bob

Location: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario - between Lindsay and Lake Simcoe

Unread postby Sailing rider » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:13 pm

I just coil them up and put a few pieces of tape around them. I also fill them with Fluid Film then hang them straight before putting in the trunk.
Kerry

2010 Gear Up (Winter)
2008 Ultra Classic (Summer)
Sailing rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Unread postby GoPapi » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Sidecar Bob wrote:That would work, especially if you are carrying other spares as well. You might consider adding some blocks of foam rubber or wadded up rags to keep everything from bouncing around in the box.

I guess that items bouncing around in a rigid container can be a problem. I don't see myself filling every little space with something to prevent them from moving around. Would probably be better with a canvas bag or even cardboard boxes.

Thanks for the pointers. :smile:

Regards,
GoPapi
GoPapi
2013 Ural Tourist
GoPapi
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby GoPapi » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Sailing rider wrote:I just coil them up and put a few pieces of tape around them. I also fill them with Fluid Film then hang them straight before putting in the trunk.

I probably will end up doing just that and as ichbinbier suggested, put them in the manual holder behind the seat.

Never heard of Fluid Film, will look it up. Thanks. :smile:

Regards,
GoPapi
GoPapi
2013 Ural Tourist
GoPapi
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Sidecar Bob » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:54 pm

The hard box would protect them better than a bag....
ImageCurd #157 - Official CURD Cheapskate & Vice-Commissar, Kawartha Lakes Region
Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr) Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650/Veloural)
Click here to visit my blog Click here to order CURD patches & stickers
Sidecar Bob

Location: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario - between Lindsay and Lake Simcoe

Unread postby Sailing rider » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:39 pm

Kerry

2010 Gear Up (Winter)
2008 Ultra Classic (Summer)
Sailing rider
Site Donor
Site Donor

Unread postby GoPapi » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:06 am

Sidecar Bob wrote:The hard box would protect them better than a bag....

I was thinking of a tool bag similar to these sold at Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.12-i ... 68603.html

GoPapi :smile:
GoPapi
2013 Ural Tourist
GoPapi
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby GoPapi » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:10 am

Thanks, looks like a great product for cables combined with a Motion Pro cable luber.

GoPapi :thumbsup:
GoPapi
2013 Ural Tourist
GoPapi
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Coluralado » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:58 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzFkok88Zq0

Old pieces of rubber hose with 3/4" pex caps on the end of the hose. Tie strap them to the spare tire wheel.
"Put a little gravel in your travel"

Darrell - Mr. Coluralado
2014 Patrol - Babe the Blue Ox!
Previous Urals Owned
2004 Wolf
2006 Tourist
2006 Patrol TOW
2006 Patrol TOM
Coluralado
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby GoPapi » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:22 am

Coluralado wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzFkok88Zq0

Old pieces of rubber hose with 3/4" pex caps on the end of the hose. Tie strap them to the spare tire wheel.

Great idea Darrell :thumbsup: Will consider copying, if you haven't submitted for a copyright yet!

Regards,
GoPapi
GoPapi
2013 Ural Tourist
GoPapi
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Chris Sheppard » Sun May 21, 2017 10:15 am

I have run spare cables beside originals on the bike and if you have to change then you just hook up the ends and you are on your way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Chris Sheppard
CURD Rookie
CURD Rookie

Unread postby ichbinbier » Sun May 21, 2017 10:55 am

Chris Sheppard wrote:I have run spare cables beside originals on the bike and if you have to change then you just hook up the ends and you are on your way.

The old school way of doing it. How do you cap the ends so dirt and water don't get in to them?
2016 CCM GP450
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Ural Gear Up
1994 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Springer Softtail
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH Hugger 883
ichbinbier
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Return to Rapazh