1984 DH FXR Superglide

1984 DH FXR Superglide

Unread postby CFA » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:25 pm

I mentioned to a friend that I was considering buying another bike and attaching a sidecar to it.
He showed me his almost mint 1984 HD FXR Evo Superglide with 29,947km on it, that is gathering dust. An ideal what such a beast would be worth and suggestions for a sidecar and sub frame.

Paul
CFA
CURD Pro
CURD Pro

Re: 1984 DH FXR Superglide

Unread postby Humblebub » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:57 am

I just checked a US NADA book and noted as between $4.900 and $15,490 depending on condition. Sounds like a yummy. One of the few HD that I like. I can think of any number of cars that would look good. Hannigan would be my choice but it is such a personal thing. Perhaps Mike can comment on sub frame.
Humblebub
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby CFA » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:18 pm

This one is one owner in great shape, hasn't been driven since 2013. I don't know anything about HD.
CFA
CURD Pro
CURD Pro

Unread postby Gummiente » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:13 am

I don't have access to the motorcycle "blue book" value listings anymore, but from what I know about Harleys $15k seems a bit much, regardless of condition. Try doing a Canada wide Google and eBay search on that year and model and it will give you a good indication of the average retail price.

As for sidecar installations, I doubt that any of the major manufacturers would stock mount kits from the 80's anymore, which means a custom fabricated install session for whatever chair you choose. And it won't be cheap. The now defunct Texas Sidecar Company was the best bang for the buck IMO, but now that it is no longer in production the cheapest one out there is likely the Kenna Single from DMC Sidecars. With the current exchange rate you can expect around $6k to get one in basic black delivered to you. Add on at least another $1k for installation, unless you have the facilities and know how for a DIY. Another possible option is the Quebec made Trans Moto "Bimmer" for slightly less than the Kenna, but they offer only a "universal" mount kit and I am not a fan of their engineering or design.

That being said, a Super Glide is a good tug for sidecars as long as you don't get into too many tight, twisty roads and keep the sidecar weight to a reasonable amount. You'll find, as with most heavyweight bikes with a tacked on third wheel, the steering will give you an upper body workout. A cure can be found in the form of a $3k triple tree kit that kicks out the forks a further 5 degrees from stock, which will lessen the steering effort by 60%. I neglected to get that kit for my Road Glide when it wore the Texas Ranger sidecar and when I moved to my present location last year I was kicking myself. The roads here are way more curvy than the Orangeville area and even a one hour jaunt resulted in a hurt body.
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
CURD Head Cheese

05 Tourist "Doukhbor" (sold)
79 Dnepr MT10 "Irina" (sold)
86 H-D Sportster 1100/Velorex (sold)
07 H-D Road Glide/Texas Ranger (sold)
15 H-D Road Glide "Redbird"
Gummiente
HeadCheese
HeadCheese

Unread postby CFA » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:35 pm

@ Gummiente
Thanks a lot for your comments I greatly appreciate them.
Price wise there would be almost expensive to up grade the HD as to buy an Ural and I already have one of those.
Your comment about the effort required to navigates comparatively straight roads around Seely's Bay :eek: The :question: became a definite NOway. I have the Cabot Trail next door.
If anyone looking for a HD with 29947km on it, no scratches PM me and I'll put you in contact with the owner.

:thanks:
CFA
CURD Pro
CURD Pro

Unread postby Gummiente » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:45 pm

Have you ever considered getting yoursef a Dnepr rig? Tons of fun, hours and hours of tinkering pleasure and off-road capabilities superior to the Ural. I have owned both and the Dnepr was my hands on favourite for grunt work, but its Achilles Heel was/is/always will be the severely limited top speed. 70kph doesn't get you far. Sustained 80-90kph is possible with an oVc tweaked motor, though, but it will still not be suited for high speed highway use. A BMW R90 motor swap can be done to bring it into the 100kph range, but you lose reverse gear in the process and you're still running on brakes designed for low speed use.

Anyway, give Ken at oVc a call. He has decided to put a couple of Wheat Bikes from his private collection up for sale, if you're interested.
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
CURD Head Cheese

Gummiente
HeadCheese
HeadCheese

Unread postby CFA » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:22 pm

@ Gummiente
I have a whole winter to think about it. I will heading to Kingston area some time after spring breakup, may go the extra mile and drop in on Ken in Acton. Probably be staying about 20 minute from Seeley's Bay.
CFA
CURD Pro
CURD Pro

Unread postby Gummiente » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:24 pm

CFA wrote:Probably be staying about 20 minute from Seeley's Bay.

Gunnar can tell you what happens when you get that close to CURD World HQ. :smiwink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
CURD Head Cheese

Gummiente
HeadCheese
HeadCheese

Unread postby Humblebub » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:03 am

I can confirm strange occurrences as you get close. Compasses begin to spin, GPS fail, Rod Serling rumours - and beware of spitting lamas.
Humblebub
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby CFA » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:10 am

Humblebub wrote:I can confirm strange occurrences as you get close. Compasses begin to spin, GPS fail, Rod Serling rumours - and beware of spitting lamas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dVpTBnXlSw
CFA
CURD Pro
CURD Pro

Return to Other Rigs/Solos/Sidecars