Howdy from Illannoy

New members, please post an introduction here

Howdy from Illannoy

Unread postby cheesy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:28 pm

Hey All, I'm Mike, I'm south of the border, a former Wisconsin cheesehead transplanted to Illannoy, aaaanndd, I own an 07 Gear Up. A friend in BC steered me here to try to solve an electrical issue I was having. Got that solved before I got here, though.

About me. Being from Wisconsin, I bleed Green and Gold, (GO PACK), eat venison, fried perch, lefsa, and cheese. I'm eating not very good cheese curds as I type this. In 1971, I gave a girl a ride on the back of my Honda S90. We got married in 1974. We have two daughters and four Grandkids. I'm a railroad equipment mechanic with a background in hydraulics, pneumatics, automotive DC, welding, and light machining. Also nearing retirement. I collect pressure stoves, pressure lanterns, and vintage-ish bicycles. Enjoy camping with the family and by myself.

About my Gear Up. Found it locally on craigslist last September with 24000km on it. Now is nearing 30000. Upgrades include heated grips, proper sized jets, a second Jerry can, a .50 cal. ammo box under the sidecar and a fat fifty ammo box on the right of the sidecar for extra storage, a 1 1/4" receiver for a bike rack, dual cylinder head temp gauge, LED headlight, and I just replaced the crummy Russian speedometer with a slightly less crummy Chinese Digital Speedometer with a tachometer. That was my electrical issue, now solved. Gotta say, the speedo looks like it was born there. Except for the heated grips, I fabbed all the upgrades. Next on my list is replacing the Russian brakelight switch(had tow since I got the rig) with a Standard Motor Products switch.

Sidecar Bob knows me as Bikamper over at the CX500 forums. I'm also cheesy at chinariders and cheeseheadmike at Soviet Steeds.

Hopefully, I can contribute and be of some help.
cheesy

07 Gear Up
79 CX500
Solexes and bicycles

"Telling something is for my own good is a fast way to a fat lip"-Me
cheesy
CURD Rookie
CURD Rookie

Re: Howdy from Illannoy

Unread postby Gummiente » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:38 am

Welcome to CURD! :llama:
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
CURD Head Cheese

05 Tourist "Doukhbor" (sold)
79 Dnepr MT10 "Irina" (sold)
86 H-D Sportster 1100/Velorex (sold)
07 H-D Road Glide/Texas Ranger (sold)
15 H-D Road Glide "Redbird"
Gummiente
HeadCheese
HeadCheese

Unread postby Rninet » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:34 am

Welcome to curd
2015 BMW R Nine T
1986 HD 1100 Sportster
1980 VW Type 1 powered MT 10/36 aka Frankencycle
Rninet
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Sidecar Bob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:01 am

Hey, I know you!! Welcome to CURD :llama:
ImageCurd #157 - Official CURD Cheapskate & Vice-Commissar, Kawartha Lakes Region
Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr) Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650/Veloural)
Click here to visit my blog Click here to order CURD patches & stickers
Sidecar Bob

Location: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario - between Lindsay and Lake Simcoe

Unread postby 2dogs1cat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:10 pm

Welcome to CURD….we like pictures too…..and maybe we should put together a rally which ends at your house…
; ^ )
Every day is a day to ride your Ural.
Sidecar lovers unite.
2dogs1cat
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby cheesy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:42 pm

Hey All, And Bob,
I took to the goofy thing like a fish to water. After about a mile, I was hooked. The best comparison I could make is to my Moms' old Polaris race sled she had in 70s. The tighter the turn, the more you leaned. 200km on it is like 600km on my Honda, though. It beats you up.

Sidecar Bob and I are about the only sidecarists on the CX Forums. At least the ones who admit it, anyway. Bob has probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about them. He had a great comeback a couple weeks ago regarding some flak about trikes and sidecars. "Trikes are for those who can't master sidecars.", he said. Snotted hot coffee out my nose. Ouch.

I got pictures. Some of my mods are not for the faint of heart.

Day after I bought it home. The rubber was pretty thin.

Outhouse Engineering and Fabrications' Jerry can mount. It works. We'll leave it at that.

OE&F bike rack. This actually turned out well.

Giving a Disabled Vietnam Vet a ride in the local Memorial Day Parade. Roger was like a kid again.

Key lock on the tank box. A quarter turn of the wrist instead of twenty.

The new speedo. It was a learning experience.

Like I said, I got plenty of pics. And always thinking of WWID mods.
cheesy

07 Gear Up
79 CX500
Solexes and bicycles

"Telling something is for my own good is a fast way to a fat lip"-Me
cheesy
CURD Rookie
CURD Rookie

Unread postby Jamnuska » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Howdy and welcome aboard.
Nice rig. I might have to borrow that design for your bike rack. Was thinking of doing something similar but nice to see a real pic.
2014 Patrol
Jamnuska
CURD Rookie
CURD Rookie

Return to Zdravstvuite!