Up in smoke

General discussion forum

Up in smoke

Unread postby DrewB » Tue May 16, 2017 4:56 am

Hi All,
Over the last couple of weeks I've been having electrical issues with the fuse in the top position blowing. On the weekend I pulled the headlight off and I noticed some lose wires so I got out my soldering gun and I soldered them together.

Yesterday morning I get about 5 minutes from the house, turn a corner and the bike suddenly dies with a big puff of smoke coming out of the headlight housing. I also noticed the wiring leading to the left hand control (signal lights / high beams) is completely melted. Now it won't turn over at all. So either I f*cked something up or I did not fix the original problem.

Eventually I managed to get the bike home on my trailer. I called OVC yesterday but they where closed. I'm hoping to get it into them and hopefully it won't that much of a repair job.

Now for the ironic bit: I just finished rigging out my trailer that I got dirt cheep to haul the Ural on our camping trip in early June.

So thinking worst case scenario and the bike is a right off or costs too much to repair:

1) How much is the bike worth as is with over 45k?
2) Given the current availability / support for Urals in Canada and EFI issues do I get another Ural?
3) If not #2 what have other people hacked and how do you like it?

:atomic:
2008 Ural Gear-Up - snow
1982 Yamaha XJ550 Seca
DrewB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Up in smoke

Unread postby Gummiente » Fri May 19, 2017 7:21 pm

Bummer about the electrical issues, hopefully oVc will get you sorted out. To answer your questions;

1. Urals are an oddity in the bike for sale market and don't really have a set formula or checklists to determine resale value. You basically charge what you think is a fair price and then hope somebody comes in with a reasonable offer soon. Do a Kijiji search countrywide to get an idea of what bikes in your model year and condition are going for.

2. Ural lost my support when they went to the poorly executed EFI and three wheel disc brake setup. Too much money for far too much trouble, IMO. If you can get hold of a lightly used 2011 to early 2014 model you would be much better off.

3. During my tenure at oVc I installed many sidecars on many different bikes. By far, the best handling setup was a Honda ST1300 mated to a Hannigan Sport sidecar. Unbefreakinglievably quick, fecking amazing handling, "take the wife and everything else including the kitchen sink" cargo space and smack-the-bridge-of-your-nose-on-the-top-edge-of-the-windshield ABS brakes (true story). Car tires can be installed on front and rear wheels of the bike and the not cheap 5 degree triple tree kit is money very, very well spent. It was a better rig than my own personal Road Glide/Texas Ranger combo.
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
CURD Head Cheese

05 Tourist "Doukhbor" (sold)
79 Dnepr MT10 "Irina" (sold)
86 H-D Sportster 1100/Velorex (sold)
07 H-D Road Glide/Texas Ranger "Blackbird Stealth Bomber" (sold)
15 H-D Road Glide "Redbird"
02 H-D Heritage Softail "Zero"
Gummiente
HeadCheese
HeadCheese

Unread postby CFA » Fri May 19, 2017 8:09 pm

I think the top fuse is the power to the 2 relays under the seat, they supply power to the whole bike, mine kept blowing until I discovered the the Dealer installed hand grip warmers had a resistor the kept shorting to the head light housing. If you are handy with a soldering iron you could you make a tester to replace the fuse . ??? Replace the fuse with a 12 volt lamp, plug it into the fuse holder. Turn the key If it lights bright there is a short. You can usually tell from how bright the lamp is if it is a short circuit or if the circuit is drawing a bit of current. Then the fun starts, shacking wires until the bulb lights up or the light goes out.
Trouble shooting is fun, except on some unknown road out of cell reception during a torrential rain. :prost:
CFA
CURD Pro
CURD Pro

Unread postby DrewB » Thu May 25, 2017 3:49 pm

I heard back from oVc and the prognosis is not good. The damage is quite extensive the entire wiring harness needs to be replaced. The harness alone is $1700. Plus an estimated $500 for labour. OUCH!

So paying over $2000 for a bike that is maybe worth $5500 seems like a hard pill to swallow.

I think the reasonable thing to do is to sell it off for parts and buy / have oVc build a hack for me.
2008 Ural Gear-Up - snow
1982 Yamaha XJ550 Seca
DrewB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Unread postby Sidecar Bob » Sat May 27, 2017 9:44 am

Or you could do it yourself, learn a lot in the process and save a bunch... Start by downloading & printing the wiring diagram, then a trip to Princess for some wire & connectors.....

Not sure if this is what you need but it is really cheap https://russiangarage.com/product_info. ... cts_id=211
ImageCurd #157 - Official CURD Cheapskate & Vice-Commissar, Kawartha Lakes Region
Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr) Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650/Veloural)
Click here to visit my blog Click here to order CURD patches & stickers
Sidecar Bob

Location: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario - between Lindsay and Lake Simcoe

Unread postby DrewB » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Sidecar Bob wrote:Not sure if this is what you need but it is really cheap https://russiangarage.com/product_info. ... cts_id=211

Assuming that is the same wiring harness, oVC quoted me $1700??? I'm wondering if it is worth $70 to find out? Or maybe I go with your suggestion and get some wire from PA and zip ties...
2008 Ural Gear-Up - snow
1982 Yamaha XJ550 Seca
DrewB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Unread postby Sidecar Bob » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:21 pm

I don't think Ken would overcharge by that much. More likely he would have to get it through Ural America and it would be the correct and original one for your bike. And would include shipping it to his shop.

The one from Russian Garage may be aftermarket and is obviously generic and may not be complete or have everything for your model. But it could be a good starting point for converting into what you need.

What do you think Mike?
ImageCurd #157 - Official CURD Cheapskate & Vice-Commissar, Kawartha Lakes Region
Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr) Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650/Veloural)
Click here to visit my blog Click here to order CURD patches & stickers
Sidecar Bob

Location: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario - between Lindsay and Lake Simcoe

Unread postby Gummiente » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:32 am

That aftermarket harness is nowhere near what is required for an '08 model, I think it is for the older 650 version. Sidecar Bob is correct that oVc does not overcharge for parts; one of the most frustrating things of dealing with IMWA is the insane pricing scheme for parts. Quite often we would place an order using the most recent price list we had, only to receive it and find out that everything had increased and a new price list was "in the works" for distribution.

Just a quick question, though... did the price Ken quoted include labour for installing the new harness?
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
CURD Head Cheese

05 Tourist "Doukhbor" (sold)
79 Dnepr MT10 "Irina" (sold)
86 H-D Sportster 1100/Velorex (sold)
07 H-D Road Glide/Texas Ranger "Blackbird Stealth Bomber" (sold)
15 H-D Road Glide "Redbird"
02 H-D Heritage Softail "Zero"
Gummiente
HeadCheese
HeadCheese

Unread postby DrewB » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:29 pm

Sorry I did not mean to imply that Ken was overcharging, on the contrary. I was questioning the quality and usability of the harness. I am a firm believer if something is too good to be true than it usually is.

It was $1700 for the hardware and $500 to install. I can see the $500 labour because there are a lot of wires going everywhere.

As an update: The Ural is back home as oVc could not take it. So I'm either going to repair it and sell it or sell it for parts. Either way it's time for a new ride for me.
2008 Ural Gear-Up - snow
1982 Yamaha XJ550 Seca
DrewB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Unread postby Sidecar Sally » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:04 pm

What's the update on your gear up Drew??? Did you fix it?
Sidecar Sally

03 FXD Springer (sold and gone to a new home)
2013 Electra Glide Ultra limited
08 Gear Up Arctico
sportster bullet mufflers/modified
2 x .024" shimmed needles
7/64" drilled out slides
130main/45 pilot
Sidecar Sally
Site Donor
Site Donor

Unread postby DrewB » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:25 pm

No, I have been busy with a kitchen reno. So it's in the garage collecting dust.
2008 Ural Gear-Up - snow
1982 Yamaha XJ550 Seca
DrewB
Site Donor
Site Donor

Return to Kafe