Continuing adventures with Frankencycle

Tales from the road, trails, snowbanks and other terrain, as told by real live sidecar owners!

Continuing adventures with Frankencycle

Unread postby Rninet » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:02 pm

I finally got back to working on Frankencycle. It was running sweet last fall, or so I thought. Once I did a test run longer than around the block I discovered that it was smoking from the left side :banghead: . I had seen the pistons and cylinders and they looked good. Compression was good , pretty sure it was a valve guide. Work and life were already getting busy so I said screw it and ordered a complete head. They come with valves installed so the rocker shaft is all you need to swap from your old head. I got it installed . And all I had left to do was adjust the valve lash ... Well that got done this afternoon. 6 months later.
I had hopes of getting a bunch of little stuff done over the winter , didn't happen but I am back at it now .

The list I had made for myself was
Switch mirror to stock mirror from my R NineT
Shim clutch perch
Build a centre stand
Tweek front fender to sit on a better angle
Re-engineer rear brake linkage
Loom over rear turn signal wires

I Can add to that list the spring tune up,stuff
Check point gap
Check carb balance and tune
Change oil

Let the fun begin :crazy:
2015 BMW R Nine T
1986 HD 1100 Sportster
1980 VW Type 1 powered MT 10/36 aka Frankencycle
Rninet
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Re: Continuing adventures with Frankencycle

Unread postby GoPapi » Tue May 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Sounds like a awsome project! :thumbsup:

I done a search on Frankencycle but didn't find any pictures of the complete bike. Did you ever post any?

I will be following your progress. :popcorn:

Regards.

GoPapi
GoPapi
2013 Ural Tourist
GoPapi
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Rninet » Tue May 02, 2017 6:31 pm

I did post one on my in high from Kenora thread .that pic is before the resurrection started. Here are a couple more recent pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 BMW R Nine T
1986 HD 1100 Sportster
Rninet
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby GoPapi » Wed May 03, 2017 7:47 am

Rninet wrote:I did post one on my in high from Kenora thread .that pic is before the resurrection started. Here are a couple more recent pics

Wow, that's a mean looking bike you have there! :goodjob:

Strange to see the carbs so far out on each side. Is that a Dnerp frame?

Congrats :thumbsup: and thanks for the photos. :thanks:
GoPapi
2013 Ural Tourist
GoPapi
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Rninet » Wed May 03, 2017 4:40 pm

It is an original frame . The down tubes have been spread about 2" at the bottom to clear the VW oil sump. And the frame members that the swing arm mounts to have been moved back about 1.75 " . Those are the major changes the rest is small stuff like mounting tabs ect . Yup the carbs get just about everybody. Especially for other bikers coming the other way in traffic . Something about that bike coming at you seems to make other bikers tilt their heads at a 45 degree angle . Maybe it doesn't look so weird at that angle :dunno:
2015 BMW R Nine T
1986 HD 1100 Sportster
Rninet
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby GoPapi » Wed May 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Rninet wrote: Something about that bike coming at you seems to make other bikers tilt their heads at a 45 degree angle . Maybe it doesn't look so weird at that angle :dunno:

Guess I'll have to ride up to Kenora someday to experience it myself!

Great job.

GoPapi
GoPapi
2013 Ural Tourist
GoPapi
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Rninet » Fri May 05, 2017 6:42 am

Ended up with some spare time tonight so I got out to the garage and knock off one of the little jobs I wanted to get done. After clutch perch to the hydraulic master cylinder . I popped on a Harley mirror just for legalities .I really didn't like it.
I had the stock mirrors from my BMW Rninet . So I used one . Partly because I am frugal , and more importantly that is how Frankencycle got its name . My good friend Dan hung that title on the bike because it was made up of parts from many different bikes and cars .that and it keeps coming back from the dead.
It went pretty straight forward. The through hole that the Harley mirror mounted in was close to the size I needed . A quick ream out with a 11/32 drill and tap to to 10x1.5mm and the BMW mirror screwed in . :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2015 BMW R Nine T
1986 HD 1100 Sportster
Rninet
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Rninet » Sun May 21, 2017 11:26 am

I installed a hydraulic clutch on Frankencycle . That took a bit of doing but was well worth it . The one little over site on my part was that the Dnepr bars are not quite one inch . Probably 25mm. At the time I quick fixed it with some tape.that worked to test the concept but not the long term solution .
Digging through my scrap metal bin , I came across the brass bushings that had been my swing arm bearings before replacing with the bronze bushings , one of these will work , recycling is good for the environment :mrgreen:
I bored the centre hole a couple thousandths smaller than the bar diameter . Then I turned the outside until it was a tight fit for the master cylinder mount . I split in two and when I clamped the halves by hand to the bar and the stayed there on there own I knew this was going to work. I remounted the master cylinder and it is nice and solid :cheers:
2015 BMW R Nine T
1986 HD 1100 Sportster
Rninet
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby GoPapi » Sun May 21, 2017 5:46 pm

Nice job! :thumbsup:
GoPapi
2013 Ural Tourist
GoPapi
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Rninet » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:25 pm

A little quicky repair tonight . I noticed that the kicker was devolving some play in it . A quick disassembly and clean showed the wedge bolt had quite a divot worn in it . I probably should machine up or purchase a new one but we went for the quick repair for now. So I filled the divot with bit of weld ,cleaned it up with my Dremel and reassembled . That took 90% of the slop out .
2015 BMW R Nine T
1986 HD 1100 Sportster
Rninet
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Rninet » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:06 pm

The next project for Frankencycle is one I can play with and not tie up the bike. I am going to put together a " solo" final drive . This will consist of replacing the 8/37 or 4.625:1 gears in the stock final drive with a set of 10/32 or 3.20:1 gears .
There is a a 9/35 or 3.89:1 final drive on frankencycle at the moment and it work well with the sidecar on . It works ok as a solo but still a little low . I can pull away in second , and double shift to 4th and carry on my merry way no problem , so I am confident that the bug motor will be able to push the 3.20:1 gear set no problem .
I have had this gear set longer than I care to admit , they have been sitting on the shelf for about a decade . I stored them in a plastic container filled with automatic transmission fluid . This worked well the gear set looks well,preserved .
2015 BMW R Nine T
1986 HD 1100 Sportster
Rninet
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Rninet » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:56 pm

I have been slowly making progress on the " solo " final drive. I took apart the final drive . When pulling the cover off take care the output shaft to the wheel is supported by loose needle bearings. They can end up all over the place. I got lucky as I was pulling it apart I was going slow . I made a bit of a mess but not as bad as it could have been.
Once I had all the needle bearings safely in a ziplock bag . I removed the ring gear carrier from the cover . Then removed the ring gear from the carrier . This is where I ran into the first little hitch .
The bolts holding the ring gear to the carrier have threads all the way up the shaft to the head. This is the wrong bolt for this application . There should no threads on the section that goes through the carrier.
Under varying torque loads , Eg hard on the throttle to engine braking . These threads can be flattened which creates a bigger gap which exasperates the problem and can eventually lead to snapping the heads off the bolts. This will probably make a big mess of the final drive.
Russians seem to love their 8x1.00 thread pattern while the rest of the world sticks to 8x1.25 . I am not going to find these bolts at Canadian tire. So I picked up some long 8x1.25 bolts . With a unthreaded section longer than the bolts I need to make.
The unthreaded section was long enough to machine a section to 7mm to use as a guide to start the threading die. I really like this trick . Just about impossible to start the threads crooked this way. After the threading is done I simply cut off the guide section .
That is where things are at the moment . Hope to have the new ring gear mounted soon
2015 BMW R Nine T
1986 HD 1100 Sportster
Rninet
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Rninet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:05 pm

There has been lots of distractions lately but I did find a little time to putter on the new rear gears. Not big progress but the ring gear is mounted up and the hub assembly is back on the cover.
2015 BMW R Nine T
1986 HD 1100 Sportster
Rninet
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Return to CURD Collective Blogs and Adventures